9 months ago
Who is the Counselor?
Welcome Stefanik School returning families and new families. My name is Mrs. Tenczar and I am the school counselor. This is my 9th year at Stefanik and my 15th year as a school counselor. I look forward to another exciting year.
My role at Stefanik:
- Providing support during a personal or family crisis (ie. parents separating, a death of a pet or loved one, illness, homelessness, house fire etc.)
- Working with students and families to improve attendance
- Classroom behavior support
- Transitions (new students, pre-school or home to Kindergarten, 5th grade to Middle School)
- Identifying strengths and areas for growth
- Social skills development
- Problem solving skills
- Anger Management
- Lunch Bunch and Recess Play Groups
- Classroom Lessons as requested by teacher
- Providing community resources to families
- Facilitating communication between home, school and outside agencies (please sign a release of information if you would like school staff to speak to a Pediatrician, Therapist or Social Worker regarding your child)
- Working with student and guardians regarding school refusal and/or anxiety about separating from the caregiver
- 504 Coordinator
How can my child come to see you?
- Parent referral
- Administrator referral
- Teacher or staff referral
- Outside Counselor referral
What Services Do I Provide?
- Small Group
- Classroom Lessons
I provide brief, solution-focused individual counseling or small group counseling (typically 6 sessions.) I will send home a permission slip for any of my formal groups (not if seen during lunch and recess.)
I also provide referrals to parents for outside agencies and therapists when the issues are more long-term or specialized.
Whatever a child or parent says to me is confidential with the exception of student safety.
A parent or guardian may verbally give me permission to share pertinent information with school staff or they may sign a release of information so that I may talk to outside agencies.
Parents can call me at any time during school hours for a phone conference or to set up a face-to-face meeting. Also please feel free to email me anytime.
I look forward to working with you and your child!